April 2021 marks the 25th annual celebration of poets and poetry!
Launched by the Academy of American Poets in April 1996, National Poetry Month reminds the public that poets have an integral role to play in our culture and that poetry matters. Over the years, it has become the largest literary celebration in the world, with tens of millions of readers, students, K–12 teachers, librarians, booksellers, literary events curators, publishers, families, and, of course, poets, marking poetry's important place in our lives. The Academy of American Poets looks forward to celebrating the twenty-fifth anniversary of this annual celebration!
The 7th Grade Experience celebrates Poetry Month by participating in A POEM A DAY! Each day a different poem will be posted to our social media outlets for our students, teachers, and parents.
National Poetry Month is inspired by the successful celebrations of Black History Month (February) and Women's History Month (March), the Academy of American Poets established National Poetry Month in 1996. Along the way they enlisted a variety of government agencies and officials, educational leaders, publishers, sponsors, poets, and arts organizations to help. National Poetry Month is a registered trademark of the Academy of American Poets.
Each April, the Academy offers activities, initiatives, and resources so that anyone can join in online and at home and—hopefully—find comfort, resilience, and connection throughout the month of April and beyond:
- Order and display the official 2021 National Poetry Month poster
- Read about 30 ways to celebrate National Poetry Month online and at home
- Read about 30 ways to celebrate National Poetry Month in the virtual classroom
- Join the Academy of American Poets for its first-ever virtual Poetry & the Creative Mind gala on April 29
- Find virtual poetry readings and events on our Poetry Near You calendar, and add your own online events
- Participate in the 2021 Dear Poet Project by April 30
- Sign up for Poem-a-Day and enjoy a free daily poem in your inbox
- Follow the thousands of celebrations taking place on social media with the official hashtag #NationalPoetryMonth and follow the Academy of American Poets on Twitter @POETSorg
- Share a #pocketpoem on Poem in Your Pocket Day on April 29